Tuesday 22 September 2009

My acting is crippling me



To find fame and fortune in America Hugh Laurie had to adopt a trademark limp for the role of Dr Gregory House.


But that realistic limp could force him out of the TV series that earns him £250,000 an episode because of the pain of contorting his body.

“The show might last to series seven, eight or nine but I don’t know if I will,” he said last night, “because I’m starting to lose my knees a little bit.

“It’s a lot of hip work. There’s things going badly wrong. I need to do yoga.”

The 50-year-old star, a winner of two Golden Globes and just nominated for his third Best Actor Emmy, is about to launch the sixth series of what has become the most watched television drama.

More than 80 million people tune in every week to follow the cantankerous, cane-wielding ­clinician as he unravels medical mysteries.

Laurie, the son of a doctor, was best known in Britain for his roles in Jeeves And Wooster and the Blackadder series before “almost falling into” House after a haphazard video audition in a tiny bathroom while filming Flight Of The Phoenix in Namibia.

His performance was so convincing that he was taken for an American actor.

“I have no idea why people like House so much and I am almost too superstitious to ask the question,” said Laurie.

“I don’t know. I feel as if someone’s going to blow a whistle at any moment and say, ‘Right, that’s it. This is all a big mistake. We meant the other guy, the other show.’

However, success has come at a price. The actor is often lonely and homesick for his family in Britain.
“We can finish filming between midnight and 4am. Then I’m straight back to bed. It’s not really a life, actually.

“If this had happened 10 years ago, when my kids were small, it would have been very easy maybe to just yank them out of school and put them in school here. But now they’re teenagers and they’ve got their own life . ”

Daily Express. Sep 20, 2009.

7 comments:

Altan=] said...

Hey guys,helo Mr Fu.!
Hugh Laurie had been a actor over 30 years,and he's one of famous actor in USA.I watched this drama on TV before.It's talk about Hugh Laurie gets hurt of his leg for long year..but he is a skillful doctor.

Pt of view of me,I think the healthy body is more important than money.Even you own much&much money but dun hv a healthy body,how come you to use it?

Btw,hope you all take care yrself!

Er!k said...

im quite confused with the article, whether it is talking about Laurie's health or the lifestyle. maybe i share my opinion in both.

health problems was usually faced by rich people becuase a lack of exercise. fame and money maybe very important to anyone, but with the body to survive, you can do nothing about the money or fame.

nowadays, hong kong as such a crowded place, stress and pressure are really common to anybody, including the retired. we should go exercise or have a few talk with friends and relatives so as to optimize our life.

Jessica said...

"Success has come at a price."I am totally agree with this statement.
If we want to have good result in our exam, we need to give up the time for playing computer games, chating with our friends,etc. SO, if u want to get something, you must give up another things.

Health is Wealth. But someone just don't care about their health. Without health, we can't have wonderful health.

6ab1 Fung Mei Yee

Nicola Ma (6AB1 32) said...

I had watched this TV series in Pearl. Actually, Pearl is too slow. In America, it had been broadcasted up to season 5 already.
My friend also interested in watching 'HOUSE'. She told me that, download from the Internet is much faster than wait for Pearl. However, those shares on the Internet do not include Chinese. Sometimes the scientific name is difficult in understanding, and I always miss some of the captions. So I prefer to watch the Chinese version that shown on Pearl.
I know you will say, watching TV in English language is more useful for studying UE. But I think watching TV is a way to relax, it’s no need to think too much.

By the way, have you watched another TV series called ‘E.R’? Both of them are talking about things happened in the hospital.
I think ‘HOUSE’ is more fun. As ‘E.R’ had been broadcasted for several season and are much longer then ‘HOUSE’, it becomes more and more boring. The characters have been changed for more than one times, and which will make audience lose interest.

`*RuBY WOnG" said...

My mum is a fan of 'HOUSE'.She watched it in Pearl.She bought DVDs of this drama with seanson 1 & 2.I watch with her sometimes.
Laurie is a good actor.He acts doctor with leg problems.But he always use skills which people think it is impossible.
I know as an artist,it is very busy.Just have a look of HK artist.There are a few hours to sleep in a week.Their life are full with jobs.YES!That can earn many money!But at the same time,thet loss their health.And that is the opportunity cost!If I am an artist,I will not use my health to change money.It's because a healthy body and life is more important than money.Even there are a lot of money,you cannot exchange back your health!People live in big cities get health problems easily.So I hope all of you can take care yourself and get a happy life.

P.S:That's my first time to leave comment.Hope there are not many mistakes~

William Fu said...

Altan, I think you were rather shocked to find out that Laurie is a British. He can really get the accent right.

Eric, it's about his acting. In House, he has to pretend to be a crippled. Over time, this act is really affecting his health.

Jessica, it's exactly similar to our situation. We have to give up something in exchange for some other materials.

Nicola, it's always a bummer for us not to get the latest episodes of those TV series. In your case, you try to forget the terms and jargons. See if you can understand.

Ruby, thanks a lot for leaving a message here. Just like your mum, I'm a fan of House. I think he's so cool and talented in the show.

jason said...

My cognition to this passage is that, talking about hugh's filming life and his sorrow behind his success in his career. As we can see,Hugh is always blameing that filming makes him got a little time for his leisure or family.
Actually, I think it's just a common pheonemon which can be explained. As he focus on his career, then he will have to give up something.Therefore, the cost of his successful career is the time and health he loss. I think people should have good management on their time,when doing anything in order to obtain an equilibrium, or his/her life will always be full of waywardness.