Sunday 11 October 2009

Young women break the tattoo taboo for the love of body art


Joey Pang works on a customer.


Jodie Chan, a receptionist at Temple Street in Central, is among the growing number of Chinese women breaking the taboo of having a "moving art piece". A tattoo artist said that when he started in the industry, only a tenth of clients were women, but nowadays it was 40%.

Tattoo parlours, hidden in the upper floors of buildings, used to carry an air of mystery.
Conservative Chinese have long associated the body art with muscular men or triads, but now more women are breaking the taboo to get tattooed. Some take it a step further - becoming tattoo artists themselves to show their love for "moving art".

Kenny Chin, at Solo Tattoo, has been in the trade for 10 years. When he began "inking" people, only one-tenth of his customers were female. Now, 40 per cent of them are women.

"People are more open nowadays. They also have a deeper understanding of tattoos. It's not a symbol of bad guys," Chin said. "While we may forget about people or things, a tattoo is permanent."

Most women want beautiful but small tattoos - usually the size of a palm. "They are afraid tattooing larger patterns would not be pretty."

Chin, 37, said he had just taken on a university student as an apprentice. Her enthusiasm impressed Chin, who has been surprised at the number of women asking about how to get into the trade.

At Tattoo Temple in Central, Cynthia Yiu, 35, got a dolphin tattooed on her lower leg. The office worker thought about it for years before she took the plunge.

"Everyone told me not to do it. But it's a personal decision that does no harm to others," she said. The 20-minute session was more painful than she expected, but she did not regret it, as the tattoo had a special meaning, too personal to discuss.

Tattooist Joey Pang, 30, said that about half of Temple's clients were women, but few worked as artists. "There are around four or five female tattooists in Hong Kong. The number of male ones is double that."

Pang studied design and make-up until five years ago. "I have always wanted a life-long profession. It wasn't until I got involved with tattooing that I felt, 'this is it'."

To become professional, she spent two years overseas learning from various tattooists. First she did a course in Thailand, then she went to France and Switzerland to find tattoo artists who had been in a book by an English author.

Pang has always loved drawing and found it appealing that she could use her ideas in tattoo designs. "Tattoos are moving paintings. Clients exhibit your designs on their bodies."

Before she went overseas, her mother asked if she could just learn the techniques and not get tattoos. "But when she saw my tattoos, she understands they are drawings."

Jodie Chan Man-man was the only apprentice Pang took in. The 24-year-old woman, who likes drawing skulls and was surprised tattoo parlours hired people, quit her coffee-shop job to start anew in tattooing.

SCMP.  Oct 11, 2009.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Nowadays, tattoo is not just a symbol of bad guys, but a piece of art work, a moving art piece that is marked on one’s body permanently and there is a special meaning for the tattoo. Most women would like to have a beautiful but small tattoo to show its uniqueness.

Nevertheless, the first impression comes to my mind about tattooing is the woman, Isobel Varley, the most tattooed senior woman in the world. She has a tattoo which covers her whole body, just like a suit of clothes and this brilliant piece of artwork is included in the Guinness World Records.

Sarine said...

I'd love to have a LARGE tattoo on my back , neck or ankle but my parents would kill me... so i have to wait until i'm around 20 to get one.
no offense but if i wanted a tattoo, I wouldn't have it done here.
There are 2 shows in discovery travel and living called "Miami Ink" and "LA Ink". Both of them are showcasing their tattoo work.
Customers can take a day or two to request a design they like to be tattooed on them. then the tattoo artist will sketch the pattern until the customer is satisfied.
Although the tattoo artists may look mean/creepy, they're actually very patient and nice, unlike in HK.
The price of having a tattoo there may be a bit costly, but i think it's worth it because their tattoo piece is really spectacular!

`RuBY WOnG* said...

I want to have a tattoo in my 18th birthday.I want to have a tattoo with a "R".It's because my nickname starts with "R".I think I will design the graph by myself.

Nowaday,tattoo is Fashinable things.But some of they are already to be addicted.For example,David Beckham has around 20 tattoos on his body.That's really crazy.But there are any reasons?

People which addict on tattoos are having problems.They usually have high pressure and no way to release.When needle make out tattoo,they will feel painful.The pressure will release with the pain.Mostly,you can find out many tattoos on public people's body.

I can't accept there are more than 10 small tattoos or 3 big tattoos on a human's body.It's because that's too terrible.For me,I think I will have not more than 3 tattoos on my body and they all will be small in size.But before I get a tattoo,I have to slove the problem of painful.I afraid pain.

William Fu said...

Bryan, it's rather difficult to imagine, and it's rather painful to undergo the process. Sarine & Ruby, I'm still old school. I still don't think having a tattoo is a good idea. First, I want to make it clear that I am not associating people with tattoos with triad members. I just think that people's idea change over time. My idea of fashion (if there was any) is totally different from when I was 20 years old. Imagine if I had myself tattooed and they had no association with my identity anymore. That is my concern. Anyway, you all have your own ideas and I think it is what make Hong Kong special.